Thursday, September 5, 2013

Jethro's Fine Grub- Fraser Street Edition

My, my isn't the Fraserhood becoming the hip spot these days? One of the new additions is Jethro's Fine Grub. I was pretty excited about this as I have wanted to try Jethro's but I am an East Side Snob and Dunbar might as well be in another galaxy for all the times that I go over there.

Jethros

You may recognize the name from an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. But then, who hasn't been on that show? (see time 1:01) This is the second Jethro's restaurant recently opened in July.  I only stumbled across it because Bulldog and I were on our way to a rollerderby game and needed something open at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Really surprising how many joints are not open that early! The interwebs did lead me to find out about the new Jethro's and it was open. Already tops in my book.

Jethros

The first thing you notice is that they did not spend their money on decoration. Not even a doodle on the wall. The only thing they seem to have done is paint one wall, and the bathroom, teal. For the amount of time that people spend in the line up, and there already is a line up here, they could at least give them something to look at. I guess I should be happy that they haven't decorated in children's placemat drawings...

But, this is about the food.  What did we have?  Michael is pretty consistent with his breakfast choices and he ordered the Eggs Benedict- ham, eggs, English muffin and hollandaise- served with hashbrowns - 10
Jethros

I asked Michael what he remembered about this meal and he said he had such high expectations because of all the work up about this restaurant and it didn't blow him away. He said it was a perfectly fine eggs benedict, but you can get fine eggs benedict at many a restaurant.

Bulldog went with the Cowboy’s Breakfast- Three eggs, any style, with smoked bacon, sausage, grilled chorizo and chili smothered hashbrowns.  Served with corn cakes - 12.

Jethros

I am glad that he chose this because I was interested in what the corn cakes look like. I can't eat corn anymore and it makes me sad because I like corn cakes. I didn't ask his opinion on this meal. It was his first meal with me and he was already a bit weirded out that I wouldn't let him eat until I took pictures of his meal so I didn't want to grill him after that... It really looked delicious and that is a large plate of food for $12.00.

I went with the Baked Potato Omelet- Loaded with our hashbrowns, bacon, cheddar, sour cream and scallions. Served with fresh fruit and toast - 12
Jethros

I will save you all from my rant that melon is not a fruit and does not belong in a fruit cup and move on to the omelet. Not a traditional omelet as it was eggs on top of the fillings, not surrounding it but it turns out I really like this! I found the eggs did not get soggy on the bottom of all those fillings. And let's take a look at those fillings:

Jethros

Doesn't that look delicious? I hope it does because it was really good. Perfect amount of cheese and sour cream on perfectly cooked potatoes. Yum!

Showing up to Jethro's about two minutes after they opened was a good idea. We missed the line but even then we were not the first people there. I will have to try the amazing pancakes that everyone talks about. They did look delicious. And now that they are within bike riding distance I will have many more opportunities.

Maybe I will colour a place mat for them to hang on the walls...

Jethro's Fine Grub on Urbanspoon

Here is a random picture of Mike drinking water. Notice the white walls behind him. Jethros

1 comment:

  1. I have been visiting your recipe blog from past 3 months. The way of recipe tips looks to be easy for all readers. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on "Jethro's Fine Grub- Fraser Street Edition" is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites Pure veg restaurant | Sweet Shop

    ReplyDelete